Coconut, banana and date breakfast squares!
We discovered this delicious recipe in a Sainsbury’s magazine and have adapted it to our taste. They are the perfect breakfast, afternoon or picnic treat. The recipe is vegetarian, vegan and dairy free and only has natural sugar added.
You can find the original online here, it has all the handy nutritional information!
Makes 16 squares | Prep 10 mins | Total Time 30-35 mins, plus cooling
- 250g pitted Medjool dates
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and chopped
- 200g porridge oats
- 60g wholemeal plain flour
- 30g desiccated coconut (we toast ours slightly)
- 120ml mild olive oil
- 2 tbsp almond
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds, plus a pinch (we use pumpkin, sunflower & flax seeds)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4 and line a 20cm square tin with baking paper, allowing the edges to overhang the sides.
- Put all the ingredients (keep a pinch of seeds for decoration) in the bowl of a food processor and blitz to make a rough but well-combined mixture – you don’t want it completely smooth. Spread evenly in the prepared tray; sprinkle over the saved seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until firm to the touch and slightly golden on top. Leave in the tray for a few minutes and then lift onto a wire rack to cool, using the baking paper as handles. Cut into 16 squares – they will firm up as they cool.
The bars will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container, or can be frozen for up to 1 month!